Dark times

Hey, Bridget here. I can’t imagine worse circumstances in which to be giving Dovecote Crest a new website. I always thought it would be during the summer, when I could transfer things over and redesign the site at leisure.

Instead, it’s because of the terrifying security breach over at ComicDish, which has left the old webpage a security risk. I’ve been working on that webpage ever since the beginning of the comic, and have poured almost as much effort into it as I have into drawing the comic. I feel betrayed by Comicdish and in turn feel like we’ve betrayed our readers.

Please let people know about the new webpage. I’m trying hard to communicate as well as I can.

I’m sorry about all this.

1. Tina says:

Looks like the site is working. I’ve changed the link to Dovecote Crest on my site. I had no idea about that code that was hacked into the comicdish websites. it’s really awful. I’m really surprised your host didn’t do anything to fix it.

• Bridget says:

Yeah, I don’t know why Comicdish isn’t up in arms at the moment. Maybe a very small number of websites were affected… In which case, man, what bad luck that we had to be one of them! In any case, I’m still trying to get in touch with them somehow to let them know.

Thanks for changing that link! All those little things will be a big help with the move to this new site :)

2. Paula says:

It’s not your fault someone else ruined it for you and the rest of us! If any of your readers feel “betrayed” then they’re not worthwhile human beings! This won’t stop me for reading this. How were you to know that that could happen? Please don’t worry, you’re readers won’t mind. And take it easy too, that’s pretty scary stuff, so we’ll understand if you need to take a break and stuff.

You two rock. I’m sure everything will work itself out.

If I were you though, I’d go to google and have them remove the old site from their search cache (is that what’s it’s called?) It will take a little while, but at least you won’t have people running into the same wall in trying searching for the new site and getting the old one.

Off to spread the word! Keep your heads up!

• Bridget says:

Thanks so much – you’re an angel. Good advice about removing the old site from Google. I’ll get that started this weekend for sure.

3. mowat says:

Don’t be so distraught. You are certainly not to blame for sudden attacks by viruses/hackers/whatever-the-hell. Indeed, it is admirable that you have done so much in so short a time to fix the problem. I know absolutely nothing about computers, code, etc., so in terms of support all I can offer are words of encouragement. This comic is clever and well-drawn, with a pleasing mixture of levity and drama. It is one of my favorite webcomics, and I have reread it twice in its entirety simply for the pleasure of doing so. I look forward greatly to its continuation, and until then I extend my sympathy for your misfortune, my admiration for your efforts, and my encouragement to carry on.

Cheers,
    mowat

4. VolkerK says:

Thanks so much for acting so quickly to address the comicdish intrusion – by both following up with the site admins to get the intrusion removed and getting your own site set up so quickly you’ve done really everything anyone could ask for, so I don’t think anybody will feel the least bit betrayed. It comes with the territory – we’re all only as safe as the sysadmins keep our sites, and they’re always on a catch-up race against the evil guys.

I really love your comic btw. – very charming design and interesting story, creative setting, believable characters, with their lovable quirkiness expressed so well in the art. From my viewpoint one of the best and most successful collaborations in the entire webcomic world. I just hope you can keep it going when times get tougher, so it doesn’t end up as yet another unfinished project.

Reply to Tina¬