December 11th, 2010

gone with the wind

1. BLUScoutMama says:

That last panel is downright GORGEOUS.

2. Jeanette says:

Unbelievable.
    No words necessary. I am speechless.

3. Elwen says:

Agreed, last panel is beautiful. Such a touching moment, these last two pages :)

4. Miriam says:

It’s over?!?! What about all our conspiracy theories?! Ben’s brothers?? Oh noooooo!!!

(Um, I mean, thanks, it was awesome!)

• Miriam says:

Oh, wait, I think I get it. This was all about Ben proving himself, accomplishing, really being a historian and someone who Did Something.

Much like story arc 1 was about Charlie realizing what she did was Doing Something too.

Awesomesauce.

5. Neva Sirenda says:

All the little details to wrap this up — the ghost dissolving, disappearing in a bright shaft of sunlight the way he first appeared in a dark room — the waving grass — Charlie’s name tag in her coat — all the little throwbacks to the beginning of the arc and all the little significant moments. Brilliantly done wrap-up. Standing ovation!

6. Garcia says:

I have to say Very well done. I really enjoy this story and look forward to more of your work.

7. Eva says:

Abso-freaking-lutely gorgeous. What a beautiful way to finish up this arc. I’m left speechless.

8. Katsuya says:

Absolutely fantastic. Cannot wait for the next arc! ;0; *applause*

9. Segreto says:

It’s moments like this that are why this is my favorite webcomic.

10. Hope says:

Fantastic!

11. Zach says:

Hot dang that’s some beautiful art!
    I know it’s been said multiple times before but it’s really quite inspiring how much both the writing and the art have improved since the first strip. I have no idea where you’re going to go from here (where *do* you go from a ghost in your attic?) but I can’t wait to find out.

12. Bex says:

OH MY GOSH SUCH BEAUTIFUL ART ASDFGDFGHDSGHSH. LOVE. The idea of our ghostie becoming one with the breeze and floating all over Dovecote Crest, ‘touching’ our characters as he goes by – I love it. (Also, return of Tess’s hawt teacher love interest! Haven’t seen him in a little while). I really like how Tess looks so carefree in the fourth panel. Also, Ben to me looks incredibly cute in the second panel, I’m not sure why. I just like his expression.

Can someone remind me… what did happen to the ghost of Matthew Rose? Do we know? Did he disappear after the little ‘going back in time’ episode with Charlie and Ben?

• Bex says:

Oh, and I almost forgot! Brilliant pun in the page’s title XD Not least because it’s a reference to Charlie and Ben’s favourite film!

• Jen says:

Bex, I think he was already at peace, no unfinished business. He survived the war and was able to return to his family – so it was known what happened to him. It’s the ghost who’s story was lost that needed help.

• Rossella says:

.My plan is to firstly know when seonome is seeking to contract (they want the name of my person), then present a “notice of offer” which will include my fee schedule (yet to be drafted) and when demanded to “act” simply “play my defined role” which is to QUESTION. It seems to me this house of cards starts to fall down when avoiding conflict by continually questioning. I will be “lifting” or “piercing” the “corporate veil” so will not only charge the corporate fiction but the men and women acting as agents (council workers, police, magistrates etc) as I’ve discovered all these fictions have UC registered numbers (unincorporated companies).I was reasoning that the best way of educating these idiots who are “just doing there jobs” to hit them in the pocket. When they fail to pay the bill, take them to civil court.This may be over simplification, but my time is precious therefore chargeable, this seems logical and rational to me.Can’t wait for the “Brotherhood” site as the implication from Guy was it would be what he has found to actually WORK.Will stay in touch matey, keep ranting!Dream

• And I thought I was the sensible one. Thanks for setting me straight.

• Walking in the presence of giants here. Cool thinking all around!

13. Eva says:

Coming back to this page a day later, I must add that this arc has given me some enormous respect for Ben, although I already did love his character. But he followed through and proved himself and his being at Dovecote, and he helped our ghostie move on. Once again, awesome job to both of you. This arc was beautiful.

14. Alectric says:

I’m kind of confused. Why did Charlie just drop her involvement with the ghost? If it was because she thought it was over and Ben didn’t tell her it wasn’t, then why didn’t Ben tell her? I mean, she’s the one who first saw the ghost, so you’d think she’d deserve and want to see it through to the end.

Also, are we to take the ghost’s similar appearance to Ben as just coincidence, or is there a chance they are related? It would also explain why the ghost was most drawn towards Ben, but Ben never seemed to address the possibility.

15. Jen says:

OMG the art on this page is gorgeous. Ben looks so sad to see the ghost go – he did what he was asked to do, but it’s like he invested all this time, and I think he really started to care.

I’m really curious about the picture of Matthew Rose’s family. His wife and daughter look an awful lot like Tess. I’d love to find out if there is a connection.

16. Gerry says:

Beautiful story. That’s why I hate to be picky about this one detail. The hands are wrong. In frame 4 Butterfield is reaching out with his left hand. In frame 5, his right hand is over the pension document. In frame 6 his right hand is at his side and he’s drawing his left hand back.

What I find remarkable is the way you’ve drawn Butterfield. In your Oct. 15 piece, standing in the moonlight, he looked “ghostly” and translucent. But in this page, standing in full sunlight, he looks so tangible. The only thing “off” about him is his eyes. This almost seems as though Ben might have still had doubts about his existence until now. Now he’s finally “real”, which seems like a good reason for Ben’s pensive, almost sad look at the end. Great job.

17. Gerry says:

The sparks of Butterfield’s spirit spinning away in the breeze reminds me of the poem that reads

“Do not stand at my grave and weep, I am not there, I do not sleep. I am in a thousand winds that blow,….”
    –Mary Elizabeth Frye (1932)

18. Laura Eliza says:

Love this… so beautiful. This story arc was so incredible, I am a little sad that it is over, but am so excited to see what is next…

19. Yochva says:

Second panel is creepy, jus’ sayin’. However, the page itself is totally awesome, perfect, late-summer sun, just perfect. And I think that everyone has a happy ending except Ben, truthfully. The fact that he’s still in shadow while the rest are in sun is one tip-off, but also that panel just doesn’t give me the sense of relief that the others do. I anticipate Ben being more moody, with a bit more shadows in the next arc.

I want more Jeremy! Can we have more Jeremy, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease? *puppy-dog eyes*

20. chica says:

So frikkin amazing. Good job!! <3

21. Phanny says:

This whole are was just amazing! I love Soldier ghost stories and this just made me happy inside!

22. Dr. Bones says:

I have never actually gotten shivers from a webcomic before, until now. 5/5 stars. Epicness.

23. maglorius says:

I only just discovered this webcomic. I archived binged right through it . I rarely comment- but, wow, such beautiful work. I always pay particular attention to the hands and these hands looked great. But, I’m most impressed with the characters expressions. They don’t even have to speak and I got the message. I notice no updates since Jan, I hope to enjoy more of your work at some point. Thank you and I’m currently using your medieval peasant wallpaper, it made me laugh :)

24. xaviara says:

why are there not more comic pages after this?
    is this the end??? if so – noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

25. J. Carter says:

I love this comic!…And now I need sleep…Crud.

26. Kes says:

That was… chillingly beautiful. A wonderfully gorgeous story arc, it sent shivers down my spine! You’ve got yourself a dedicated reader now!

27. Ashley says:

The way you draw light is simply stunning. That last panel is gorgeous!

Reply to Miriam¬