July 17th, 2010

how it happened

1. Rachael says:

HOLY CRAPNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    although… why on earth does it matter to the ghosts if they don’t do it right?

2. hanna says:

BEAUTIFUL! Oh my god, this page just sent all these chills down my spine. I’m not 100% what the heck is going on, but I still love it. The layout of the panels and the transition from one event to the next was especially well done!
    Okay done gushing. On a side note, I’m convinced that the Confederate ghost was some kind of ancestor of Ben’s…they look exactly alike except for the hair color.

3. Manda says:

So, so fantastic. Definitely not what I expected to happen, either. I thought Charlie’s ghost guy would be holding Butterfield at gun-point. I love that I can’t predict anything in this comic!

Looking forward to more awesome story and great art. Thank you both!

4. Angelina says:

A:LFJDS:LFKJS:DF OMG SO PSYCHED.

5. Alvin says:

What was Butterfield’s first initial again? Was it B? Cause if it was… and this is pure speculation.. I’m thinking the ghosts chose to appear to Charlie and Ben because Ben’s ghost’s first name is Ben and union ghost’s first name is Charlie and or maybe they are descendants?! I don’t know! Maybe this is completely wrong and my brain isn’t functioning because it was blown away by this strip! stop breaking my brain D: (in a good way)

6. Meg says:

soooo pretty!

7. Chica says:

I love how you used the leaves and vines and trees as panel edges! And in panel 10, Ben’s eyes are ah-MAZING! One lit, one shaded. That’s a really risky image to draw, as it looks off even when it happens in real life! Awesome job!

8. Molly says:

Oh! Oh oh oh! I love how it segues from Charlie and Ben being shown how to do this to the ghosts actually doing it! And this is so gorgeous…gaaaaaahhh….

9. Neva Sirenda says:

I have to tell you just how fantastic this page is, I think it’s your best yet (and that’s saying a lot!) Watching Charlie and Ben turn into the ghosts…or the ghosts turn into Charlie and Ben… watching Ben actually TURN in that 8th panel where the left side is the ghost and the right side is still Ben OMG!! And that last panel is not at all what I expected. The sheer desperation on his face…

Been reading for a LONG time and am taking this opportunity to tell you Dovecote is my Favorite. Webcomic. EVER. And if you knew me you’d know that’s saying a LOT.

10. Littoria says:

This is incredible. This is so incredible. I can’t even handle this page. The lighting and the movement are just flawless, and the reveal panel where the ghosts are alone is absolutely stunning.

Lovelovelovelove.

11. animeniac says:

OhMyGodOhMyGodOhMyGod!!! What next? WHAT NEXT????

12. AlpineBob says:

The first time through I got chills as it seems Charlie and Ben have been possessed.
    The page is gorgeous, thought the last two panels bug me. I’m not sure why. Maybe seeing an expression on the ghosts faces is confusing me…

@ Rachael: it seems to me the ghosts are trapped here until the truth is known and they can rest in peace.

I have no idea what’s gonna happen, but I do wonder if the UNION soldier is deserting. He is so intense!

• Neva Sirenda says:

That was my thought too! And how does the as-yet-untouched Butterfield get mortally wounded if not by the Union soldier? (And here’s hoping he doesn’t endanger Possessed Ben in the process!)

13. lauren says:

ahhh!

14. minnesaenger says:

Dovecote Crest – where history is less dead than elsewhere. INDEED! Talk about less dead – un-dead enough to come and infiltrate living beings (I think of it as a merge rather than a possession).

The art and composition are really superb here (as usual). The transitions, the lighting up of the eyes as the merge happens, the spooky aura, the dropping guns, it’s all just soooo perfect. A masterwork.

But I can’t shake the feeling that if I had read those letters better I should know what’s going on…

15. d0jistar says:

I went to Antietam a couple of weeks ago, rekindling my interest in ACW history, so I just spent several hours finishing the second chapter of Dovecote. The art has really gotten amazing, with the background of forest details appropriately detailed or vague as needed and the great lighting effects, and the writing for this chapter has gotten increasingly suspenseful and tight.

16. Lizzie says:

Everytime I look at this page, I just kind of go “Guh…” How long did this take to color? Good grief!

17. Rine says:

I may be the only one who sees this, or does Charlie’s ghost-guy look kinda like Jeremy?

• Rachael says:

OMG TOTALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      O.o now she gets to live out the life of her boyfriend’s great(x30ish) grandfather?

18. Savannah says:

TODAY. THIS EPIC PAGE OF EPICNESS HAD TO HAPPEN TODAY. My sister has been reading Dovecote for a while, and though she’s always recommended it, I’ve been putting off reading it. Today, I decided to try it. TODAY. WHY??? WHY DID I NOT WAIT??? ::sobs:: I WANT MORE NOW!!!! NOW NOW NOW!!!! ::sobs some more::

19. Rachael says:

Hm… weekly, you say? I see 0 new pages… ITS TOO EPIC TO LOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. randomtwitch says:

ack, no! Why did I have to catch up at such a suspenseful moment?!

21. WOW.

This right here? This is an amazing page. The panel with the eye change is phenomenal.

22. Jeanette says:

I love this page. The transformation is absolutely phenomenal!

Reply to Jeremy Dwiggins¬